Thursday 31 May 2012

Ways To Change a Habit (Part 5)

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE – WITHOUT SELF-JUDGMENT
Psychologists such as B.F. Skinner define learning as a stable change in behavior that comes as a result of practice. This idea is key to changing habits. Act on your intention. If you fail or forget, let go of any self-judgment. Just keep practicing the new habit and allow whatever time it takes to make a change.

Accept the feelings of discomfort that might come with a new habit. Keep practicing the new behavior, even if it feels unnatural. Trust the process. You will grow into the new behavior. However, if this new habit doesn’t work, simply note what happened (without guilt or blame), select a new behavior, and begin this cycle of steps over again.

Making mistakes as your practice doesn’t mean that you’ve failed. Even when you don’t get the results you want from a new behavior, you learn something valuable in the process. Once you understand ways to change one habit, you understand ways to change almost any habit.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this Marcelina. Keep practicing yourself to change habit is already a stepping stone to reach your common goal in life. I am still practicing it on my own. No matter if I do struggle, I always keep saying "I can do this" and I never look back.

    Ogie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Practice makes perfect. This is one quote that we should always apply in order to change our entire habit for good. I'm really glad that Marcelina has shared this blog post to us, which I'm considering this as a motivating article. We need to have the right plan in order to reach our own goals, and that always starts with a little bit of practice.

    Cheers!

    Justin Trillo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your 5 part series, it (as well as the rest of your site) has been very helpful. I have learned alot of great tips here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you really want to change a habit, you have to practice, practice, practice. Never surrender and never give up! Eventually the hard work will pay off. I'm thankful I found your site. The 5 part of this article really gave me reasons that I can make a change in my life especially the bad habits. Now I'll just continue and practice. If I fail, it will be a lesson and no hard feelings. I'll just continue and change. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete