Wednesday 16 May 2012

Stop Procrastination NOW (Part 1)


Consider a bold idea: the way to begin to stop procrastinating is to choose to stop procrastinating. Giving up procrastinating is actually a simple choice, and people just try to make it complicated.

Test this idea for yourself. Think of something that you’ve been putting off. Choose a small, specific task – one that you can complete in five minutes or less. Then do it today.

Tomorrow, choose another task and do it. Repeat this strategy each day for one week. Notice what happens to your habit of procrastination.

If the above suggestion just doesn’t work for you, then experiment with any strategy from the list below. (Just don’t put it off.)

1. Discover the costs. Find out if procrastination keeps you from getting what you want. Clearly seeing the costs of procrastination can help you kick the habit.

2. Discover your procrastination style. Psychologist Linda Sapadin identifies different styles of procrastination. For example, dreamers have big goals that they seldom translate into specific plans. Worriers focus on the “worst case” scenario and are likely to talk more about problems than about solutions. Defiers resist new tasks or promise to do them and then don’t follow through. Overdoers create extra work for themselves by refusing to delegate tasks and neglecting to set priorities. And perfectionists put off tasks for fear of making a mistake.

Awareness of procrastination styles is a key to changing your behaviour. If you exhibit the characteristics of an overdoer, for example then say no to new projects. Also ask for help in completing your current projects.

To discover your procrastination style, observe your behaviour. Avoid judgments. Just be a scientist and record the facts. Write Discovery Statements about specific ways you procrastinate. Follow up with Intention Statements about what to do differently.

3. Trick yourself into getting started. If you have a 50-page chapter to read, then grab the book and say to yourself, “I’m not really going to read this chapter right now. I’m just going to flip through the pages and scan the headings for ten minutes.” Tricks like these can get you started on a task you’ve been dreading. 

Stay tuned for the balance 4 . . . . . . .  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marcelina,

    I liked the 3rd point that you have shared here. I've been in this situation before. I was given a task to re-write a 30-page eBook and it should be done within a week. What I really did is to scan every step in the eBook and I easily re-write them by myself. It's a nice trick you shared here, and always focus on the things that are highly-prioritized.

    Jam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a real challenge for all of us. You know why? Sometimes, we are very confused on the things that needs to be finished. Just think about the priorities that you should need to accomplish on. Set aside those things that are not really necessary for you to do now.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really motivating a lot. I'm so glad that I've found this blog of yours Marcelina. I am having troubles right now on managing all the things I wanna get started in my life and to stop procrastination. Looks like I have a lot to learn here, so I'll try my best to cope up everything even if it's not easy.

    Thanks!!!

    Andy Reyes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am defiantly an "overdoer", I like your tip to trick my self into getting started, because I find that is the hardest part. Once I start it is smooth sailing, but prior to that I try to clean every inch of my home in an effort to put of the real task at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's all overcome procrastination! I couldn't agree more with the tips you have shared here. I'm actually surprised to learn that there are procrastination style. Sometimes I'm an overdoer. Lots of things to do but I wasn't able to set which things have to be done first. I'm glad I read your post on this matter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete