Friday 1 June 2012

Setting and Achieving Goals (Part 1)

Many of us have vague, idealized notations of what we want out of life. These notions float among the clouds in our heads. They are wonderful, fuzzy, safe thoughts such as “I want to be a good person,” “I want to be financially secure,” or “I want to be happy.”

Such outcomes are great possible goals. Left in generalized form, however, these goals can leave us confused about ways to actually achieve them. If you really want to meet a goal, translate it into specific, concrete behaviour. Find out what that goal looks like. Listen to what it sounds like. Pick it up and feel how heavy that goal is. Inspect the switches, valves, joints, cogs, and fastenings of the goal. Make your goal as real as a chain saw.

There is nothing vague or fuzzy about chain saws. You can see them, feel them, and hear them. They have a clear function. Goals can be every bit as real and useful.

Writing down your goals exponentially increases your chances of meeting them. Writing exposes undefined terms, unrealistic time frame, and other symptoms of fuzzy thinking. If you’ve been reading my blog for Planning, then you you’ve already had experience writing goals. Setting and planning address changes you want to make in your behaviour, your values, your circumstances – or all of these. To keep track of your goals, write each one on a separate 3x5 card or key them all into a word processing file on your computer.

There are many useful methods for setting goals. Following is one of them. This method is based on writing specific goals in several time frames and areas of your life. Experiment with it and modify it as you see fit. You’re also encouraged to reflect regularly on your goals. The key words to remember are specific, time, areas, and reflect. Combine the first letter of each word and you get the acronym STAR. Use this acronym to remember the suggestions that follow.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I really enjoyed reading this 4 part series. It emphasizes what I've been preaching for years. Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective. I have been using flashcards to monitor goals for two years now. Those little cards are a consistent reminder to meet those goals. I like breaking down a long-term goal into little short-term goals. It really does work. I'm sharing this article on my Facebook network. Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know what to answer when I was first asked what was my vision and mission in life. I didn't really think that setting a goal is very important. It gives you the purpose and the determination in order to achieve your goals. Now I like to write my goals. Like what you mentioned it increases your chances of meeting them. Of course just make sure to write realistic goals!

    ReplyDelete