Wednesday 23 May 2012

Ways To Change a Habit (Part 1)

Consider a new way to think about the world habit. Imagine for a moment that many of our most troublesome problems and even our most basic traits are just habits.

That expanding waistline that is being blamed on a spouse’s cooking – maybe that’s just a habit called overeating.

That fit of rage that a student blames on a teacher – maybe that’s just the student’s habit of closing the door to new ideas.

Procrastination, stress, and money shortages might just be names that we give to collections of habits – scores of simple, small, repeated behaviours that combine to create a huge result. The same goes for health, wealth, love, and many other things that we want from life.

One way of thinking about success is to focus on habits. Behaviours such as failing to complete reading assignments or skipping class might be habits leading to an outcome that “couldn’t” be avoided – dropping out of school.

When you confront a behaviour that undermines your goals or creates a circumstances that you don’t want, consider a new attitude: It’s just a habit. And it can be changed.

Thinking about ourselves as creatures of habit actually gives us power. Then we are not faced with the monumental task of changing our very nature. Rather, we can take on the double job of changing our habits. One change in behaviour that seems insignificant at first can have effects that ripple throughout your life. If you’re an adult learner, you might gain special value from experimenting with new strategies for learning.

After interviewing hundreds of people, psychologists James Prochaska, John Norcross, and Carlo DiClemente identified stages that people typically go through when adopting a new behaviour. These stages take people from contemplating a change and making clear determination to change, to taking action and maintaining the new behaviour. Following are ways to help yourself move successfully through each stage.

5 comments:

  1. It is important that we should change our habits, especially when it comes to education. Skipping classed are not a good option for a student to say he or she's successful already, or saying like "I already know about this topic". We should try our very best to change our attitude to make our lives better.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I want to reach my own goals in life, I had no other choice but to change my habit or attitude. I can set aside those things that are not really necessary to do, as those things that are very important is what I should always accomplish. No matter if it's for me or for my family, changing my habit is one way to become successful in life.

    Ogie Mayol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Marcelina,

    Last time, I am struggling from managing my own time for both work and my family. I have lack of concentration to finish the tasks that I'm assigned from my boss. As a result, my boss is not really happy of my performance. I just told him that he needs to give me another chance to prove that I am worthy of the job.

    Few days later, I had fully make it up to my boss by concentrating on finishing the job earlier. It feels good to finish it early than waiting for the deadline.

    It's nice to meet you here.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to reading the rest of this set, changin habits is always difficult, but I have benefited from alot of your other articles so I have high hopes. Thanks for all you hard work and for sharing your articles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Procrastination is my worst habit. I tend to put off some tasks especially at school when I just felt it or I'm too lazy to complete it. I realized it's a habit I have to change because it affects me as a student and I'm not being productive. Thanks for your advice. I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete