Tuesday 29 May 2012

Ways To Change a Habit (Part 4)

GET FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT
  
This is a crucial step and a point at which many plans for change break down. It’s easy to practice your new behavior with great enthusiasm for a few days. After the initial rush of excitement, however, things can get a little tougher. We begin to find excuses for slipping back into old habits: “One more cigarette won’t hurt.” “I can get back to my diet tomorrow.” “It’s been a tough day, I deserve this beer.”

One way to get feedback is to bring other people into the picture. Ask others to remind you that you are changing your habit. If you want to stop an old behavior, such as cramming for tests, then it often works to tell everyone you know that you intend to stop. When you want to start a new behavior, though, consider telling only a few people – those who truly support your efforts. Starting new habits might call for the more focused, long-lasting support that close friends and family members can give. Support from others can be as simple as a quick phone call: “Hi, have you started that outline for your research paper yet?” Or it can be as formal as a support group that meets once a week to review everyone’s goals and action plans.

You are probably the most effective source for your own support and feedback. You know yourself better than anyone else does and can design a system to monitor your behavior. Create your own charts to track your behavior or write about your progress in your journal. Figure out a way to monitor your progress.

4 comments:

  1. It's also necessary that if we want to change our behavior or habit, we need to stand up to ourselves. We must not be shy in telling our families and friends that you are going to change the way you are before. As a result, they will appreciate on what you really wanted to prove.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I would tell all of my friends (both boys and girls) that I'm about to change my habit, I'm gonna be proud of myself. Why? It is because I want to prove to them that they're wrong about me not changing the way I am.

    I just need myself to change for a month. After that, I'll let them say something about my current habit whether if it's good or not. But for me, I'll do something great in order to let my friends happy of all the changes I have.

    Cheers!

    Justin Trillo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only will your friends and family be there to support you, but those that are very close to you will keep you on track. If they care enough about you and know your true desire to kick a old habit, they will be stern with you when need be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feedback and support from family and friends are essential in practicing new behavior. Without those two, it's as if you are just telling yourself you can do it but not all the time. Their support, especially your family, will give you the inspiration to continue the changes that you want and be happy with your new behavior. Btw, great site!

    Thanks,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete