Friday 18 May 2012

Stop Procrastination NOW (Part 2)

As promised balance 4, enjoy!

4. Let feelings follow action. If you put off exercising until you feel energetic, you might wait for months. Instead, get moving now. Then watch your feelings change. After five minutes of brisk walking, you might be in the mood for a 20-minute run. This principle – action generates motivation – can apply to any task that’s been put on the back burner.

5. Choose to work under pressure. Sometimes people thrive under pressure. As one writer put it, “I don’t do my best work under deadline. I do my only work under deadline.” Used selectively, this strategy might also work for you.

Put yourself in control. If you choose to work with a due date staring you right in the face, then schedule a big block of time during the preceding week. Until then, enjoy!

5. Think ahead. Use the monthly calendar or the long-term planner to list due dates for assignments in all your courses. Using these tools, you can anticipate heavy demands on your time and take action to prevent last-minute crunches. Make Planning Strategically “home base”, the first place to turn in taking control of your schedule.

6. Give up “some day”. Procrastination rests on this vague notion: I’ll do it some day. Other people reinforce this notion by telling you that your life will really start when you . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Fill in the blank with phrases like graduate from college, get married, have kids, get promoted, or retire.) Using this logic, you could wait your whole life to start living. Avoid this fate. Take action today.

7. Create goals that draw you forward. A goal that grabs you by the heart strings is an inspiration to act now. If you’re procrastinating, then set some goals that excite you. Then you might wake up one day and discover that procrastination is part of your past.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marcelina,

    Since this post is a continuation on how to stop procrastination, I definitely agree that we should consider ourselves to work under pressure for all the priorities we have every single day. Sometimes, I have to sacrifice sometime in order to finish all of the important works I have. Thanks for sharing this to all of us.

    Jam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking immediate action is one thing that some of my goals are already accomplished. But there are other goals that I have yet to accomplish, but I'll try my best even if it's difficult. If I want to reach my goal soon, I'm always thinking ahead and finish all of the things I need to accomplish rather than waiting for "some time"

    Cheers!

    Justin Trillo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working under pressure is how I work best, im glad to hear someone else say it is OK as long as it works for you, I argue with my boyfriend about when I should start my shool project,but I always get good grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel glad that there's a website like yours that helps a lot of people in making better changes in their lives. Thanks for the great advice here especially on procrastination. I'm one of those people who sometimes like to work under pressure. That way I accomplish the tasks needed and I even finish them right before the deadline. Great site! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete