Wednesday 13 June 2012

Motivation (Part 3)

Changing your mind – and your body. You can also get past discomfort by planting new thoughts in your mind or changing your physical stance. For example, instead of slumping in your chair, sit up straight or stand up. You can also get physically active by taking a short walk. Notice what happens to your discomfort.

Work with thoughts, also. Replace “I can’t stand this” with “I’ll feel great when this is done” or “Doing this will help me get something I want.”

Sweeten the task. Sometimes it’s just one aspect of a task that holds us back. We can stop procrastinating merely by changing that aspect. If distaste for our physical environment keeps us from studying, we can change that environment. Reading about social psychology might seem like a yawner when we’re alone in a dark corner of the house. Moving to a cheery, well-lit library can sweeten the task.

Talk about how bad it is. One way to get past negative attitudes is to take to an extreme. When faced with an unpleasant task, launch into a no-holds-barred gripe session. Pull out all the stops: “There’s no way I can start my income taxes now. This is terrible beyond words, as absolute disaster. This is a catastrophe of global proportions!” Griping taken this far can restore perspective. It shows how self-talk can turn inconveniences into crises.

2 comments:

  1. I find that a nice little walk does the trick for me. My well-lit cheery place is Starbucks. Not only does it motivate me, but sometimes I even make new friends or just like-minded people. I'm a people person so it's always great to compare thoughts and pick people's brains. Right now I'm attending the university to obtain a degree in Psychology. I'm glad I found your blog while I was researching "motivation tips." Thank you so much for your inspiration Marcelina. I look forward to following you regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this article motivates me. Thanks for this! Sometimes when I'm not motivated, I feel bad that I wouldn't accomplish things right away. I had a change of mind and this time I try to work it out and have reasons to be motivated with what I do. Thanks for your insights!

    ReplyDelete