Tuesday 19 June 2012

Motivation (Part 6)

Do it later. At times, it’s effective to save a task for later. For example, writing a résumé can wait until you’ve taken the time to analyze your job skills and map out your career goals. This not a lack of motivation – it’s planning.

When you do choose to do a task later, turn this decision into a promise. Estimate how long the task will take and schedule a specific date and time for it on your calendar.

Heed the message. Sometimes lack of motivation carries a message that’s worth heeding. An example is the student who majors in accounting but seizes every chance to be with children. His chronic reluctance to read accounting textbooks might not be a problem. Instead, it might reveal his desire to major in elementary education. His original career might have come from the belief that “real men don’t teach kindergarten.” In such cases, an apparent lack of motivation signals a deeper wisdom trying to get through.

2 comments:

  1. Your words profoundly resonate here as well. I was working a 10 hour a day construction job. It was good pay, but it bored me to smithereens. I often found myself counting the hours yearning to get home to work on my online businesses. There were even days when I would miss work just to have more time to work online. I knew that wasn't the way to go so one day I decided to take a huge plunge and quit my job. I took that step because everything about me kept gravitating towards my online business. It was very rough in the beginning, but after a year of pursuing internet marketing full-time, my hard work began to pay off. It takes time, patience, and drive like anything else. It also helps if you already have a little bit of money saved up to support yourself. I would not recommend anyone to quit their job if they don't have a good cushion to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's effective when I save a task for later.When I have to think things through, it gives me better decisions and more time to acknowledge what I was missing. I read through the Motivation posts and it really helped me a lot not only in motivation but also in decision making. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete